Data Engineer (m/w/d) – Sparrow
Our target customers stock spare parts worth $1,000,000,000,000 (yes, $1trn) - 75% of which are rarely or never used. Sparrow changes that - we reduce our customers’ overstock and waste (making them more sustainable).
Sparrow offers a SaaS platform that ensures maintenance teams have the right spare parts when and where they need them, at the lowest possible cost. To do that, we leverage big data, AI algorithms and a network approach.
Our products are used by some of the world’s leading companies.
We’re based in Berlin, serving customers across Europe and growing fast.
We’re looking for a Data Engineer (m/f/x) to join our team. As a Data Engineer at Sparrow, you will use custom and off-the-shelf tools to analyze and improve our customers’ (and Sparrow’s) data.
Because data is our business, we look for a particular kind of data demon. Someone who loves working with data, is super data curious and enjoys making sense of it.
You’ll be a good match if
You’re data curious and get a real buzz out of solving problems with data - maybe you were that kid who scraped the Pokémon online encyclopedia to build your personal database, or maybe you scanned past school exams and ran analysis to predict the next-exam’s questions … in which case you’ll fit right in.
What this role is:
- Deep diving into knotty data and figuring out how to simplify it, then systemise it
- Troubleshooting problematic data issues
- Customer focused - every step of the way
What this role is not:
- A database admin
- Working through service tickets
- A software engineering role
Your responsibilities will include:
- Creating tools and processes for data extraction and processing
- Using the above tools (and others) to improve data quality
- Managing and optimizing product data catalogs
What’s in it for you?
- Professional development through coaching and mentoring
- Diverse tasks: from scripting through Excel wizardry and up to Machine Learning with new challenges around every corner
- Career growth opportunities: when Sparrow grows, so do you
- Remote work: we are extremely flexible and open to any working pattern that can adjust to Berlin timezone -/+ 2hrs
- Your work directly impacts the company’s success
- Working with a small and strong team where every voice counts
- Virtual shares
- You have 2+ years of experience using SQL on large data sets.
- You have a basic(+) knowledge of scripting, likely Python or similar languages
- You have a good command of spreadsheet software (Excel, Google Sheets).
- You are able to learn how to work with new tools quickly.
- You communicate well in English; German knowledge is a plus.
Values/ mindset/ qualities
- Analytical and data driven – you believe in magic only if it fits in an Excel formula
- Relentless – you stop dancing 2 hours after the party has ended
- Brutally honest – you can’t help but say what you think
- Long-term thinker – you appreciate that great things take time to build
- Entrepreneurial mindset – you find opportunities everywhere
How to apply
- Send your CV or LinkedIn profile
- Respond to the questions in the next step